(by TW_Bdato Hania)

1 2 3 4

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(2/20/2016 8:23:04 AM) - Lovely flight pose captured here, Anna. Could I suggest a slightly different crop? I also reduced shadows and played a bit with the colour balance to brighten the bird up a little.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(2/20/2016 7:32:42 AM) - Still not really sharp. Reducing highlights and shifting colour balance a little from green to magenta brings out more detail.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(2/13/2016 10:32:18 AM) - Hi Anna, I think these are Greylag geese. I like the sense of scale you have captured here.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(2/13/2016 7:20:36 AM) - I saw this as more of a pano. For the lighting I went between the two examples above

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(12/17/2015 2:46:00 PM) - Great pose and detail caught through a window. A bit purple on my monitor - tried to show what I mean...

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(12/1/2015 5:01:23 PM) - Hi Davey, focus is on point, and there is good detail that can be brought out. I had a play to see what p/shop and topaz filters could do...

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/30/2015 5:30:35 PM) - Excellent! Fine detail and great composition. I might have added a small gamma correction, lowered the highlights a bit to bring out the depth of colour in the butterfly, but absolutely fine as is. Well done!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/30/2015 5:18:18 PM) - Nice comp and depth of field capturing good detail. A slight shift from blue-yellow in colour balance makes the orchids a little warmer and pinker with clearer whites, but this has a mood of its own. Very good!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/30/2015 5:12:32 PM) - Nice bird capture. I suggest a bit of a crop/rotation to bring the Jay more into frame and perhaps a slight change to tones and shadows, but that just personal choice. Good shot.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/30/2015 4:57:57 PM) - Sorry to disagree with other comments. I think the image is flat - no depth to the colour and contrast is lacking. I tried to show what I mean

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/6/2015 4:48:41 AM) - wonderful painted quality to this and ethereal light. Excellent!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/5/2015 4:14:35 PM) - I see the potential in the shot. A play with contrast, shadows and highlights can help, and also giving the whole image the same toning.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/5/2015 4:01:11 PM) - Beautiful light and detail!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/5/2015 3:59:22 PM) - #2 DAT(Davey Towers): I opened the image in Adobe Camera Raw (my first step in processing in photoshop) and altered the colour balance by shifting magenta to green and blue to yellow. Also reduced most of the noise and reduced contrast. Then opened in p'shop. Played further with colour balance: blue to yellow, cyan to red and magenta to green. Used "shadows and highlights" to bring down the bright parts, brighten the dark and alter mid-tone contrast. Ran it through the Topaz de-noise plug-in and copied to get two layers. Bottom layer treated with Topaz Detail and sharpened. Top layer treated further with de-noise. Erase the snail and leaf on top layer to show sharpened snail below. Merged. Sounds a lot, but that is my typical work flow and after playing with thousands of images it becomes almost a reflex and takes only a couple of minutes or so for an "example" - much longer if looking to print large. Trick is to realise how far you can push things without the image looking false. Hope this helps.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/5/2015 5:49:46 AM) - Shadows can easily fool a sensor and give a blue cast to a shot, as has happened here - can be corrected in post processing. Good to get all 4 attennae things exposed, but needs to be sharper to focus interest.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/2/2015 6:42:19 PM) - Some fine detail here of a handsome male in mid-moult. There is a bit of a magenta cast on the greys of the birds back and I would suggest a crop to remove some space up top and to move the eye off the centre line.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(10/29/2015 11:02:26 AM) - Great colour and detail. Can I suggest a small crop?

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(10/29/2015 11:01:06 AM) - fine details and colour!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/23/2015 3:53:56 PM) - Intense expression, well caught. I might have tried a crop to take her off centre and played a bit with the tones

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/23/2015 3:45:35 PM) - Great depth here, Dean - great as is but could also work as a brighter image, I think.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(7/21/2015 8:10:02 AM) - nice expression captured. A lot can be done with the shot to give it some impact. Re-cropping can give more emphasis to the face and play with exposure and details can lift the shot out of the dark.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(6/11/2015 5:49:58 AM) - #3 Reidar: In Adobe Camera Raw, I click "open as" and select raw. Then used the sliders to shift blue - yellow and a bit from magenta to green. I also reduced contrast. The shadows were lifted in photoshop (image adjustments - shadows and highlights)

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(6/10/2015 5:45:06 PM) - Nice light, but too blue and too much contrast for my taste.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(6/9/2015 7:16:57 PM) - Wonderful dreamy image - great processing.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(6/9/2015 7:15:59 PM) - I like this, done in your signature style.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(6/9/2015 7:06:02 PM) - Nice - I saw it with reduced shadows and brighter eyes

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/14/2015 2:20:18 PM) - Nice texture on the house. I might have warmed the tones a little.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/14/2015 2:16:36 PM) - You have a good eye. I like the repeating patterns within the boats, so suggest a crop to focus on these. I would also reduce contrast a bit to bring out more detail in the shadows.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/14/2015 2:09:00 PM) - Stunning - a wall hanger of a shot. Well done!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/12/2015 3:16:55 PM) - #5 Wessel-130766: Thanks! I bought the tamron 150-600. Relatively inexpensive and wanted to reach more than my old 300mm 1.4 TC. It has its weaknesses - you have to learn to give more exposure correction in low and bright light, and it is definitely sharper at the f11 range compared to the f6.5, it is sharper just below 600mm compared to at 600mm. Sharpness here is due in part to using Topaz Detail - an excellent filter that beats out USM.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/11/2015 3:57:14 PM) - Creative as ever - well done!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/11/2015 3:56:13 PM) - I like this, but might have been tempted by a more horizontal crop...

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/11/2015 3:55:07 PM) - Nice macro, your rig is working well!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/11/2015 3:53:09 PM) - Beautiful! Subtle colours create a mood here...

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/11/2015 3:52:16 PM) - Nice and moody. I might have lifted the darkest shadows a little to reveal detail of the engraving, but kept it darker than Bas' example.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/5/2015 7:20:29 PM) - It is purely personal, but I prefer your treatment in your previous post - for me this is a bit too strong.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/5/2015 7:19:08 PM) - Good POV and restrained HDR - nice!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/3/2015 1:37:19 PM) - Nice portrait. Could use a little more mid-tone contrast and perhaps more definition on the subject. Background could be toned down to avoid distraction

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(5/2/2015 7:10:16 AM) - Nice idea. If it were mine, I would desaturate all colour except yellow, green and a leave a touch of blue. I would denoise the image and then bring out details in the dark side (reducing exposure and contrast is a starting point). If you set this up again, try to get the black/white border as a vertical throughout

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(3/18/2015 4:43:32 PM) - Always a nice sight. Might have brightened still further and shifted the color balance from magenta

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(3/18/2015 4:40:47 PM) - There is detail in those shadows that can be brought out, and I might a cropped a little to put more emphasis on the mountain top. Would be a fine view to behold.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/9/2014 6:20:39 AM) - It's a Ptarmigan(Lagopus mutus), Anna. Nice separation and tonality.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(11/7/2014 5:55:48 AM) - Fine shot of an elegant bird.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(10/2/2014 2:45:15 PM) - Lovely smile captured.Agree with Ray. Would also tone down the highlights/contrast (but some highlights on head/shoulder are blown. Possibly crop a bit from left to move eyes off centre, leaving some space to "look into". I tried to show what I mean.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/29/2014 4:53:57 PM) - Beautiful! Love the quality of light here and the depth suggested by the b/ground.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/29/2014 4:52:28 PM) - Fine looking spider! The issue here is the depth of field. Having taken a few spider shots myself, getting sufficient DOF to have all of the spider sharp is difficult. First priority for me is trying to get the head in focus, and an angle that makes it look like a deliberate choice!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/23/2014 3:28:38 PM) - Nice - I think you can crop closer, and a warmer tones and a play with shadows and highlights make it pop a little more. Would be better on original - but I tried to show what I mean.

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/20/2014 7:19:51 PM) - Fine shot!

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/20/2014 7:19:00 PM) - I also agree with Wessel

Comment by TW_Bda (Tim White)(9/20/2014 7:17:10 PM) - A pleasant shot in your signature style. It is personal taste, but I find that the evenness of your tones takes away the depth from the image. I ttried to show what I mean by adding a gamma adjustment only. As I say, just personal taste.

1 2 3 4   back to all comments page >>