(to Stuart Holmes)

Comment by Wessel-130766(2/11/2017 2:13:00 PM) - Great choice of camera. I still regret I swapped my D90. Fast and grar camera. Wish your daughter a lot of fun with it.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(12/30/2016 10:49:13 PM) - #1 DAT(Davey Towers): Thanks! (Dad's still working hard on this craft, with a long way to go! She ought to pass me up at some point...)

Comment by DAT (Davey Towers)(12/30/2016 10:43:21 PM) - Here's hoping she has the same gift as dad. Happy new year Stuart

Comment by Stuart Holmes(11/24/2016 12:27:22 PM) - #1 DAT(Davey Towers): Thanks for the comment! (Comments are what used to make this site so much fun!... Too many just vote and post these days...)

Comment by DAT (Davey Towers)(11/23/2016 9:53:33 PM) - Love that the main characters are in focus and others have motion blur, very effective, wizardly shot. Well done

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/30/2016 7:36:58 PM) - #1 Ray Griffiths( ): Tradeoffs always right? I liked the fast aperture on the sony, and it is good enough to serve as a wide shot camera when I have a telephoto mounted on the DSLR at an event... I love the lumix as well!

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(8/30/2016 2:50:14 AM) - Impressive. The zoom range is why I chose the Lumix over the Sony, it's virtually the same camera otherwise. I find for general out-and-about photography it is my camera of choice nowdays.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/9/2016 6:40:17 PM) - #5 The Last Mohican(Linas Pociukas): For the most part, this was simply a very bright scene on a very bright day. I intentionally underexposed by about a third of a stop, (because digital sensors seem to have far more dynamic range on the low side of things than the high side) then brought the levels up until I had the very slightest clip warnkngs in the very brightest area of the flower. Everything else is just saturation, sharpness and noise. Fairly minimal stuff. (Other than fading out the corners...)

Comment by The Last Mohican (Linas The Amused One)(8/9/2016 3:41:30 PM) - Looks a bit shiny...like some kind of High Key, but not like that- much more like enhanced to Highlights-lights side too much but maybe its special intention?...or am I wrong?

Comment by Zenonas(8/8/2016 1:22:26 PM) - Yes, in this case it is very good!
best wishes
z

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/8/2016 12:11:04 PM) - #2 Zenonas: There may well be too much space, but this shot is a part of some I've submitted to a stock photo site, and all that space leaves plenty of room for text to be added! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Comment by Zenonas(8/8/2016 11:55:39 AM) - Great pastel colours. Maybe it is possible to crop some space? For me too much bokeh but it is only my opinion, Stuart.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/6/2016 8:44:02 PM) - Though I may have likes a bit more sharpness in the bee, I think the slight softness works with the color and overall look in this scene. What do you think?

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/6/2016 8:39:25 PM) - #2 The Last Mohican(Linas Pociukas): It's a Tamron 180mm /3.5 Prime (fixed length) lens.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/6/2016 2:38:10 PM) - #1 The Last Mohican(Linas Pociukas): There are two reasons I went for a larger DoF. First, I was hand held and at 180mm, it's is particularly tricky to place the focus of such a small subject exactly where you want it. Second, I wanted a smooth transition in detail in the web to draw the viewer down the tunnel...

Thanks for commenting!

Comment by The Last Mohican (Linas The Amused One)(8/6/2016 11:01:18 AM) - Relatively big DOF, thought....nice POV

Comment by Stuart Holmes(8/2/2016 10:29:04 PM) - #2 The Last Mohican(Linas Pociukas): I really didn't do much in the way of contrast adjustment in post. I boosted the exposure a bit, added a touch of saturation and set the black and white points. That said, there is certainly some detail lost when down sampling the image to such a low resolution and applying jpeg compression.

Comment by The Last Mohican (Linas The Amused One)(8/2/2016 5:47:13 PM) - Is there some loss of details due to enhanced contrast in post'p or just very that kind scene? What lense do You use for macro?

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(8/2/2016 2:51:58 AM) - Sharp where it needs to be and a colourful image

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/31/2016 10:44:55 AM) - #1 Ray Griffiths( ): Yeah, I felt the same about the composition myself. When I spotted him, I was across the parking lot and so slowly walked towards this tree while looking through the view finder. As I was moving and not really sure how long he'd stay put I kept him where I had the best chance of a sharp result. I've suggested a crop that might be more pleasing, but I miss some of the green background that helps set the location of the shot.

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/31/2016 2:51:15 AM) - We don't get these birds, wish we did, they're very colourful. Nice catch but maybe a bit central with too much dead space at the top. What was the crop you were considering?

Comment by DAT (Davey Towers)(7/29/2016 3:34:38 AM) - I actually prefer the thumbnail version with the cropping, however, this is a great effort as I know how quick they move! Well done Stuart.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/28/2016 5:32:15 PM) - #1 Zenonas: I could make something up about leaving that space was to give the impression that the bee had just flown in from that space, but really as quick as these guys mivr around, I simply selected the best in ficus shot I had!

Thanks!

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/28/2016 2:40:15 PM) - I like the soft colour and oof areas

Comment by Zenonas(7/28/2016 12:29:41 PM) - Good macro. At first it looks as comp is not very good because it is a little space for bee in her front but it is very good bokeh in two thirds at right. Great balance!

Comment by Zenonas(7/27/2016 7:03:40 AM) - Romantic shot!

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/26/2016 2:20:26 PM) - Nice catch

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/25/2016 10:36:09 AM) - #1 DAT(Davey Towers): Thanks so much! (I still think there's nitty little things I could clean up.[^634;292;2]) Thank you for taking the time to submit a comment! It makes the site much more engaging!

Comment by DAT (Davey Towers)(7/25/2016 1:29:11 AM) - A 1st class effort Stuart. Uncluttered background, great, diffused foreground, great, leaving the focal point that draws the viewers eye to the perfectly sharp veins of the leaf. Great control on DOF, well done.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/22/2016 1:45:23 PM) - #1 Ray Griffiths( ): Yeah, I think so... There's another in the series where she has a really funny and intense look, but the reaction photo after the "bubble strike" was not as good, and it didn't seem to flow quite as well as the center to this set. Perhaps I will post it by itself later. (These days it's sort of tough to have enough photos on which to vote..)

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/22/2016 1:41:54 PM) - I like the middle one the best

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/22/2016 4:02:05 AM) - #1 Ray Griffiths( ): You know the old joke... "That's no person, that's my wife!" (She's also walking down the street on the left...)

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/22/2016 3:59:20 AM) - I like the angle which adds a three-dimensional look. The person on the balcony is a bonus.

Comment by Ix Ray(7/16/2016 8:49:17 PM) - What I can say... If you want to show only sunny day, your picture is very god. But if you want I will see yours native land, there are too much light. I'm sorry, if you wanted to show something different.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/16/2016 8:22:09 AM) - #1 Ix Ray: Do you find there are areas blown out in this shot? Indeed, this is a bright scene but would you say it is poorly expoosed?

Comment by Ix Ray(7/16/2016 5:03:43 AM) - Too bright om my monitor...

Comment by Koduck(7/15/2016 10:52:32 PM) - Shallow focus is a great tool but too shallow here.

Comment by Koduck(7/15/2016 10:50:16 PM) - Agree with Ray.

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/15/2016 5:11:35 PM) - #3 Ray Griffiths( ): I think you are right. I'll have to play around with this camera a bit more!

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/15/2016 3:36:11 PM) - #2 Stuart Holmes:
I reckon more depth to bring all three flowers into focus against the backdrop of colour.

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/15/2016 3:34:29 PM) - Nice catch!

Comment by Stuart Holmes(7/15/2016 10:46:35 AM) - #1 Ray Griffiths( ): I did intent for the focus to be very shallow, but there is a section of the bud near the center of the frame that comes in front of the focus point. Would you suggest a different placement of focus of simply prefer more DoF?

Comment by Ray Griffiths ( )(7/15/2016 2:50:25 AM) - I like the colour but focus seems off